100 Years of Camping Trivia
1. Who was the Randolph County agent that had the original idea for the first county 4-H camp?
2. What kind of snake did the campers make Teepi Kendrick a belt out of?
3. Where did the first campers sleep because of the rain at camp?
4. What was the name of the farm where the first county 4-H camp was held?
5. What month was the first camp held in?
6. How many county camps were held in the second summer of 4-H camps (1918)?
7. Name two things the first campers were required to bring to camp.
8. Was the first 4-H camp a boys’ camp, a girls’ camp, or co-ed?
9. Where did William “Teepi” Kendrick work before being hired by Extension?
10. Which tribes did campers start at the first 4-H camp in 1915?
11. Name a county that borders Randolph County.
12. Name an activity campers did at the first 4-H camp that we still do at camp today.
13. What happened to William “Teepi” Kendrick when he went down to watch the fishing class and waded into the water?
14. What is the name of the West Virginia 4-H history book written for the 50th anniversary of 4-H?
15. What year did the first state 4-H camp take place?
Answers: 1. Verus Shipman 2. Rattlesnake 3. The barn 4. Jackson Crouch Farm 5. July 6. 17 7. Chicken, tin plate and cup, silverware, an empty mattress tick and blankets, toiletries, potatoes, vegetables, bacon, live chicken 8. Co-ed 9. US Postal Service; as a mail carrier 10. Trick question: There were no tribes at the first county camp 11. Pocahontas, Webster, Upshur, Barbour, Tucker, Pendleton 12.Swim, fish, sleep, Eat, sang songs, tell stories, watch a movie/slides outdoors on a big screen, sit around a campfire, etc. 13. He bent over and ripped his trousers 14. A Touch of Charisma, by Guy H. Stewart 15. 1921